Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sleepyhead

Some days, simply waking up feels like my biggest accomplishment.
I knew sleep would be hard to come by once the baby
was born, but it's so much harder than i thought.
Bleary eyes, dark circles, jungle woman hair and clothes covered in spit-up.
I mean seriously, I hoped i would keep it more together.
A shower has become the best part of my day;
when i can clean myself up, put the pieces back together,
and take time to revel in the sweet moments of the day.
When I emerge, I feel a bit more whole;
a bit more like myself.
In the shower I can think, I can breathe, I can re-connect to the 
part of myself that sometimes gets lost in the chaos of the day.


Come on tired little body, come on, up up up!
And then i hear my baby stirring in his bassinett next to our bed and i know that no matter how comfortable my bed is, the day is starting and my baby-shaped alarm clock won't wait.

So, up it is.
At all hours, my body is a baby eat-all-you-want buffet.
Somehow
pre-baby
i had never considered this notion.
And it's realization is both beautiful and terrifying.
My body feeds his body.
Woah.

After baby eats, burps, has a fresh diaper and takes his first cat nap of the day, i make my day's most fateful decision:
do i stay up and get some things accomplished?
OR
do i go back to that warm, fresh cotton bed?
Each day the answer is different and suddenly the days are flying by and i can't believe i've already survied my (almost) first two months of motherhood!
Whether i go back to bed or not,
i feel accomplished.

Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment