Okay, so maybe I'm a little late in seeing this magazine cover, but none the less i feel a very strong need to talk about it. Major controversy over breastfeeding in public sparked after Babytalk magazine featured a baby feeding from it's mother's breast on it's cover in 2006. The MSNBC article about the backlash can be seen here.
To the women who believe that a breast is solely sexual object, way to contribute to the objectification of your fellow woman. We need to be supporting each other, especially in this area of great importance, not tearing each other down. It is not okay to feel forced into breastfeeding your child in a bathroom stall because of the negative comments and reactions of other women. How does one even go about doing that, I personally think I'd be lost without my Bobby pillow! A woman has the right (morally and legally) to care for and nurture her child (aka breastfeed) wherever she needs to. That being said,to me, the issue of public breastfeeding all has to do with how it's done. It's one thing to pull your naked breast out in the middle of the restaurant and another to nurse your baby but in a more discreet manner. Personally, I'm all about the latter method. Today, breastfeeding moms have so many (fashionable!) options, why would you not want to take advantage of them! Breastfeeding is between mom and baby and for them both, not for opinionated on-lookers. I breastfeed my infant son in public with my nursing shawl that completely covers my breast and my feeding baby. Mine is called the Hooter Hider by Bebe Au Lait and it's an absolutely wonderful invention! I've nursed my son with it in a tiny coffee shop, at a friend's baby's birthday party (a normally crazy stressful environment for a nursing mom, kids and cake, need i say more?). Another cool cover is the Love'd Baby Nursing shawl, more of a poncho style (believe me, I had a hard time deciding!). With so many options customizable to every mom, what better time than now to breastfeed your baby?! Moms of the world, go out to lunch, the park, the mall, wherever, and breastfeed again with pride and confidence!
Breastfeeding is a beautiful and natural thing that women have done to feed their babies since the beginning of humanity. Breastfeeding provides nearly 100 nutrients that cannot be found in or reproduced in formula. It also lowers the risk of SIDs (sudden infant death syndrome), and lowers the risk of childhood cancers and juvenile diabetes. Not to mention that breast milk is custom made for your infant's needs and desires, also making it the perfect food to digest in their tiny bodies. Because breast milk leaves very little residue in the colon (whereas formula leaves more), breastfed babies are rarely constipated. Breast milk also provides valuable antioxidants that give your child a huge immune system boost and protection against developing allergies. And how about a significantly lower risk of your child becoming obese and/or developing asthma.
And then mama, there are the benefits to you! Breastfeeding is all-around healthy for the mother's body. Did you know that it causes your uterus to shrink faster after pregnancy? That means you're one step closer to getting your body back. And as if that were not enough reason to yes to the breast, it is now proven that the mother who breastfeeds lowers her risk of breast and ovarian cancers. For more facts on breastfeeding, visit La Leche Leauge and Fit Pregnancy online!
Seriously breastfeeding moms, the odds are in your favor. But now, how about the law? What rights does a breastfeeding mom have as allotted by her state and government? To find out, click here to visit the National Conference of State Legislatures or here for La Leche League International. Both sites provide great information and most importantly, arm you with your legal mama rights.
On another note, I am NOT AT ALL bashing bottle feeding. I believe that as a mother, the way you choose to feed your baby is a personal choice. True, I feel that the advantages of breastfeeding your baby outweigh the disadvantages (for both of you), but no one can tell you which method is right for you. And let's face it ladies, breastfeeding is not always the easiest route. I had so many problems with it initially, pain, soreness, bleeding...the list goes on, that i almost quit. But I was determined to breastfeed and after lots of practice and toughening, I was finally able to do it and it's been one of my most proud accomplishments. I also couldn't have done it without the Medela Nipple Sheild which provides a barrier between your nipple and your baby, allowing them to eat while your nipple heals from temporary soreness.
Breastfeeding is your right as a mom and if you choose to do it, then don't let anyone stop you!
♥
Rae



No comments:
Post a Comment